Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sonny

We got a dog!!! We found him today and brought him home tonight. We started off the day going to PetSmart and Petco, went to see what type of dogs were there from rescues. We were uncuccessful since the only rescue there was for greyhounds. So while we were at Petco I got on their computer and searched Petfinder. I found a 1-year-old male at the Pasco County Humane Society so I called about him. The man I spoke with answered my questions but then told me that he had received a call a short while earlier from a woman with a 1-year-old Labrador Retriever / Golden Retriever mix. I told him we were definitely interested in him and got directions. We drove out there, probably a 40 minute drive, and the woman hadn't arrived yet (this was around 2:45) so we took the girls for some lunch. I called Ed back at the Humane Society and the woman still hadn't shown up so he told me he'd call me if she did and we headed back home to pick up some groceries. Around 4 o'clock I got a call that the woman had called and would be there in about an hour. So we unpacked our groceries and waited...and a little over an hour later got the call that Sonny had been taken in. Sonny's previous family was moving and could not take him with them. So we made the drive back out to Pasco County...which took about 45 minutes...and as soon as we walked out to the kennels I saw the most beautiful dog and my first thought was 'I hope that's him because that's the dog we've been looking for!'

We'd been told that he was timid when he first gets to know people...well, I'm not sure where that came from because he's not that way at all! When he came out of the kennel, he went right to the girls and let them pet him all over. Randy was given the leash and he started to walk with him like he's been part of our family the whole time. We filled out the adoption paperwork and walked him out to the Durango. We moved Emily's seat to the very back and I climbed in the middle with Sonny and Grace. Sonny immediately jumped in the front seat...and was properly seated before Randy had even had a chance to get in! Grace and Emily started laughing so heartily...it made my heart warm! THAT, hearing their sincere laughter, made everything worth it!!! I absolutely LOVE hearing them both laugh.

Sonny eventually returned to the back seat with me...and promptly laid down with his head on Grace's lap. She just very naturally draped her arm around his neck and started petting him. Of course Emily was jealous, having to be in the very back, but we made that up to her by letting her walk him in Petco. He was great in the store, not really pulling much on his leash or trying to go to all the other dogs.

Sonny is a year old - at least that's what we were told but I think he's certainly on the plus side of one year. He's already 50 pounds and more retriever than lab. He's absolutely beautiful and we look forward to many, many years of him in our family!

As soon as I find my card adaptor I will upload pics of him from my phone!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your new dog! Sounds like you got a good one.

    ReplyDelete