Thursday, November 6, 2008

Barack Obama, President-elect

I have to admit I was greatly disappointed Tuesday night when John McCain did not win the election, but I also must admit I wasn't surprised. Senator McCain had a lot to overcome, baggage from the current administration, that he unfortunately was not able to do. I am a flag-waving Republican, conservative by most standards, and very protective of my money. I don't like the idea of campaign promises made by a candidate that mirror socialism. I earned that money, my husband earned that money, and I'm not too keen on the idea of having to share it with those who 1. choose not to work, 2. prefer to milk the system of their own 'perceived' entitlements, 3. or to have it re-distributed in a system that does not promote furthering of education or job skills. Where is the incentive to better yourself when your money will be taken from you and handed out to those with less than you? That being said, I fell I should retire my soapbox. There is nothing that can be done now, the majority have spoken and the electoral college followed. Barack Obama will be our new president on 20 January 2009. I am excited...yeah, I said I'm excited...that history has been made and the first African American has been elected to the highest office in our country. However, I am concerned about articles I have read pertaining to 'friends' in his past (i.e. Bill Ayers, Jeremiah Wright), I am concerned about the controversy surrounding his birth certificate and wish the original would be produced to shut that theory down, I am concerned about his Muslim ties, but what I am most concerned about is his complete lack of experience to lead this nation. That, my friend, is what scares me the most. My hope and prayer is that he will surround himself with a cabinet of people with more experience than him and utilize them heavily. My hope and prayer is that a peaceful withdrawal of our troops in Iraq will occur with no lasting repercussions on the citizens of that country and that what has been accomplished the past 5-1/2 years will not have been done in vain. I pray for change and I believe Barack Obama will deliver, I only hope that it's the kind of change that benefits more than takes-away. If President-elect Obama is the God-fearing man he claims to be, I pray that he will maintain and further develop his faith and convictions. This can be...is...and will be an exciting time in American history and despite the fact that I feel that John McCain would make a better president, I will no longer stand opposed to President-elect Obama. I even removed all of my anti-Obama 'flair' from my facebook page. I will admit, Barack Obama is a very eloquent and charismatic speaker, he has a gift. He may just be the right person to re-unite the un-united of this country and this world. He has an ability to draw in the masses. I only hope it's not like the Pied Piper drawing in the mice and directing them off the side of a cliff. I hope his promises for change ring true and that my fear of American becoming a socialist country becomes unrealized. After all, campaign promises have been broken by, I'm sure, almost every president ever elected. But hey, if not, I hear Canada is nice.

2 comments:

  1. we're heading to sarah palin land!! join us?? all we can do is head into the future with optimism and support the new President. i'll be praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope he proves me wrong and does something for the country. This next year should be interesting. I still think he is a snob though and should share his OWN money with the poor first before taking any of mine....hell, he could give some to me because I qualify as poor these days! Anyway, I will support him as President because it is my duty as an American to do so. It is crazy to think that we have a black man as President! It is a great day in that respect....I only hope that doesnt become a focus for him because there are more important issues at hand ya know? Ok I'm done now.

    ReplyDelete